Tehran: Iranian opposition leaders have
called off anti-government protests planned for Saturday, the
anniversary of last year`s disputed presidential election, an
opposition website reported.
Both opposition leaders Mir Hossein Mousavi and Mehdi
Karroubi have decided not to go ahead with demonstrations,
Karroubi`s website Sahamnews.com reported today.
"After receiving reports from reformist parties and to
protect the lives and properties of the people, we announce
that the planned demonstrations would not be organised," they
said in a joint statement posted on the website.
In recent weeks both Mousavi and Karroubi had renewed
calls for fresh presidential elections and said they rejected
President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad`s authority.
Mousavi`s Kaleme.com website reported on Tuesday that
the interior ministry was prevaricating on issuing requested
permits to stage demonstrations on Saturday.
"Mr Karroubi and Mr Mousavi`s request to hold a rally
was not answered under the pretext that the demand was not
forwarded by political groups or parties," the website said.
It said the requests had been re-submitted by the
political groups themselves, but that "the director of
political affairs at the interior ministry Mahmoud Abbaszadeh
Meshkini evaded accepting the request."
Ten opposition groups have been seeking permission to
protest to mark the first anniversary of Ahmadinejad`s
re-election, the opposition website Rahesabz.net reported on
The groups pledged in a letter to the interior
ministry that their June 12 rally would "be a silent one, with
no one carrying any arms," Rahesabz.net reported.
"There will be no statement read out and no speech
made," the website quoted the letter as saying.