Iran parliament begins impeachment of Salehi
Tehran: Iran`s parliament on Tuesday launched
impeachment procedures against Foreign Minister Ali Akbar
Salehi for appointing an aide to the president`s beleaguered
chief of staff as one of his deputies.
The motion to impeach Salehi, signed by 33 lawmakers,
was officially "read out in the parliament today by an MP in
the presiding board," as required by the law, a statement on
the parliament website said.
Under the constitution, the signatures of 10 MPs in
the 290-seat Majlis are needed to start impeachment procedures
against an incumbent minister.
The move needs the approval of parliament`s presiding
board before being sent for a vote.
The targeted minister has to appear before parliament
within 10 days to defend his case and ask for vote of
The impeachment move comes after Salehi on Saturday,
appointed Mohammad Sahrif Malekzadeh as a deputy foreign
minister in charge of administrative and financial affairs.
Malekzadeh was a top official in the high council of
Iranian affairs abroad, run by President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad`s
chief of staff, Esfandiar Rahim Mashaie, whom
ultra-conservatives accuse of aiming to undermine the Islamic
Ultra-conservatives, the Shiite clergy and the elite
Revolutionary Guards have repeatedly called for Mashaie`s
dismissal, accusing him of leading "a current of deviation"
and of exerting too much influence over the president.
Ahmadinejad has so far adamantly defended his aides,
A number of influential deputies in the
conservative-dominated parliament reacted to Salehi`s
appointment on Sunday by calling for his impeachment unless he
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured