Iran Parliament starts impeachment of economy mini
Tehran: Iran`s parliament today launched an
impeachment process against the economy minister for alleged
laxity in monitoring banks, in fallout from a 1.6-billion-
dollar embezzlement scandal.
The impeachment of Economy Minister Shamseddin Hosseini
will focus on his alleged lax oversight of banks and handing
out posts to individuals without properly vetting them, the
state television`s website reported.
The minister must appear before parliament within 10
In mid-September, officials began a probe into
allegations that a private group had amassed trillions of
rials through forged letters of credit approved by half a
dozen Iranian banks.
Revelations of the scam, which had initially been
estimated at USD 2.6 billion and billed as Iran`s biggest
ever, caused a media storm and prompted the country`s supreme
leader to call for restraint as investigations continued.
A member of parliament`s presiding board, Omidvar Rezai,
was quoted by local media as saying today: "The minister will
(also) be questioned... regarding his failure to resist
pressure exerted by executive officials."
Media opposed to President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad have
published a letter attributed to his chief of staff and
principal adviser, Esfandiar Rahim Mashaie, in which he
reportedly asked Hosseini to facilitate the accused group`s
For the past several months, Mashaie has been the target
of a fierce campaign led by hardliners in the ruling
conservative camp, who accuse him of leading a "current of
deviation" to undermine the regime`s principles.
Ahmadinejad, whose decision to stand by Mashaie has
angered conservatives, also slammed the new charges against
In an interview with CNN, a transcript of which was
published by Iranian media, Ahmadinejad said Saturday he
expected the judiciary would clear all members of his
government of involvement in the scam.
Parliamentary impeachment of ministers is relatively
common in Iran, where the government and parliament
traditionally have an uneasy relationship.
The last official to have paid the price was transport
minister Hamid Behbahan, who was impeached and sacked by
parliament in February after a deadly plane crash.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results declared