Iran picks sites for 10 uranium enrichment plants
Tehran: Iran has earmarked potential sites for 10 new nuclear enrichment plants and construction of two of them could begin this year, a nuclear energy official said on Monday.
"We have earmarked close to 20 sites and have passed the report on those to the President, however, these sites are only potential," Ali Akbar Salehi, head of the Atomic Energy Organisation, was quoted as saying on news agency ISNA.
"We should begin the construction of two enrichment sites next year ... In the two new sites, we plan to use new centrifuges." The next Iranian year begins on March 21.
Iran announced plans in November to build 10 new enrichment plants to match its existing Natanz complex. The announcement came as the United States and its allies hoped to reach an agreement for Iran to enrich uranium abroad.
Washington fears Iran`s nuclear energy program will allow Tehran to develop nuclear weapons. Iran denies any such intention and says it only wants to generate electricity.
Analysts are sceptical whether sanctions-bound Iran, which has problems obtaining materials and components abroad, would be able to equip and operate 10 new plants.
They see Iran`s claims to have plants running within a few years as a bluff in the nuclear dispute with the West.
Salehi said President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad would announce on April 9 what kind of centrifuges are to be used at the new sites.
The United States and its allies hope to get new United Nations sanctions imposed on Iran in the coming weeks over its continued enrichment work.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra addresses people of Haryana
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- People forget celebrities are also human beings: Jacqueline Fernandez
- Bitter boxer Manoj Kumar appeals for PM's intervention to clear Indian boxing mess
- Finance Ministry recommends CBI probe into 80 kg of missing gold from IGI Airport
- Hotel rooms are so mainstream! Rent a vacation home this time
- Sporting Lisbon's Joao Mario completes record EUR 45-million move to Inter Milan