Iran Prez Ahmadinejad accuses US of `nuclear blackmail`
United Nations: Six major countries met
here to further tweak a draft resolution that could impose
sanctions on Iran over its controversial nuclear programme,
even as President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad accused the US of
Envoys from the five veto-wielding members of
the UN Security Council -- the United States, Britain, France,
Russia and China -- plus Germany met here and discussed about
the draft resolution moved in the council in January.
"We have just had a very constructive consultation,"
China`s UN Ambassador Li Baodong told reporters as he emerged
from the closed-door meeting held at the US mission to the
"We now have a better understanding of each other`s
positions. We will continue these consultations," he said.
The envoys are understood to have discussed about the
US draft resolution that outlines sanctions in five areas such
as arms embargo, energy, shipping, finance and targeted
punitive measures against Iran`s powerful Revolutionary
The meeting also comes close on the heels of countries
like India and Brazil making it clear their opposition to the
sanctions, saying they will hit common man more than the
In the letter, second this week, to the United
Nations, Ahmadinejad slammed US` new nuclear policy and recent
comments by its top diplomats on Iran.
The new policy "allows America to launch an attack
against Iran and North Korea as well as Secretary of Defence
Robert Gates statement that all options are on the table."
The letter, sent to the Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon,
the Security Council and the General Assembly President, Ali
Treki, said that the Nuclear Posture Review violated the UN
Charter and Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty.
"Such inflammatory statements which are tantamount to
nuclear blackmail against a non-nuclear-weapon State signatory
to the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons
(NPT) constitute a serious violation of the United States
obligations and commitment, under international law," he
The Security Council has already imposed sanctions on
Iran three times to deter its from its alleged nuclear
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- Quota row: Hardik Patel threatens Gujarat’s govt again
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- After Naved, another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder