‘Iran Prez to quit politics when term ends’
Berlin: A German newspaper is reporting that Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad says he will end his political career when his second term ends next year.
Ahmadinejad was quoted on Saturday as saying in an interview with Germany`s Frankfurter Allgemeine Sonntagszeitung that he plans to return to academia. He said that, though he might engage in political activity at a university, "I will not found any political party or group."
Ahmadinejad can`t run in Iran`s June 2013 elections because of term limits. Asked whether, like Russia`s Vladimir Putin, he envisions returning to the presidency at a later date, he replied: "No, eight years are enough."
Ahmadinejad last year lost a power struggle with Iran`s ruling system, which had helped him rise from Tehran`s city hall to the Presidency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet