‘Iran Prez to quit politics when term ends’
Berlin: A German newspaper is reporting that Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad says he will end his political career when his second term ends next year.
Ahmadinejad was quoted on Saturday as saying in an interview with Germany`s Frankfurter Allgemeine Sonntagszeitung that he plans to return to academia. He said that, though he might engage in political activity at a university, "I will not found any political party or group."
Ahmadinejad can`t run in Iran`s June 2013 elections because of term limits. Asked whether, like Russia`s Vladimir Putin, he envisions returning to the presidency at a later date, he replied: "No, eight years are enough."
Ahmadinejad last year lost a power struggle with Iran`s ruling system, which had helped him rise from Tehran`s city hall to the Presidency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender