‘Iran Prez to quit politics when term ends’
Berlin: A German newspaper is reporting that Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad says he will end his political career when his second term ends next year.
Ahmadinejad was quoted on Saturday as saying in an interview with Germany`s Frankfurter Allgemeine Sonntagszeitung that he plans to return to academia. He said that, though he might engage in political activity at a university, "I will not found any political party or group."
Ahmadinejad can`t run in Iran`s June 2013 elections because of term limits. Asked whether, like Russia`s Vladimir Putin, he envisions returning to the presidency at a later date, he replied: "No, eight years are enough."
Ahmadinejad last year lost a power struggle with Iran`s ruling system, which had helped him rise from Tehran`s city hall to the Presidency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Bigg Boss double trouble: Four lovebirds, one former couple inside the house
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!