Iran Prez’s allies held for witchcraft
Tehran: Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad’s close allies have been accused of using supernatural powers to keep their leader in power amid the power struggle between him and the country`s supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei.
Several people believed to be close to the president and Esfandiar Rahim Mashaei, his chief of staff who is described as ``the actual president of Iran``, have been arrested in recent days and charged with being "magicians" and invoking djinns (spirits), The Guardian reports.
One of them has even been described by an Iranian news website as "a man with special skills in metaphysics and connections with the unknown worlds".
The arrests come amid a growing rift between Ahmadinejad and Khamenei, which led many MPs to demand the impeachment of the President.
Ahmadinejad returned to his office on Sunday, after an 11-day walkout in an apparent protest over Khamenei`s reinstatement of the intelligence minister, who the President had initially asked to resign.
Ahmadinejad`s move was criticised by conservatives who warned that he might face the fate of Abdulhassan Banisadr, Iran`s first post-revolution president, who was impeached and exiled for allegedly attempting to undermine clerical power.
Ayatollah Mesbah Yazdi, a cleric close to Khamenei, warned Ahmadinejad`s that disobeying the supreme leader is equivalent to "apostasy from God".
Since Ahmadinejad`s return this week, at least 25 people believed to be close to Mashaei, have been arrested.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP win big with 81 seats, Shiv Sena bags 84; CM Fadnavis Maharashtra thanks Maharashtra voters, PM Modi
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: BJP emerges as big winner in Mumbai, sweeps Pune, Amravati, Nagpur, Nashik
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017: Shiv Sena wins, BJP runners-up