Iran proposes Iraq, China as nuke talks’ venue
Tehran: Iran`s foreign minister said Istanbul
remains an acceptable location for talks with world powers
over Tehran`s nuclear programme, but noted Tuesday that his
country has proposed other venues such as Iraq or China for
the negotiations scheduled to start next week.
The suggestions of alternative sites raised the
possibility of complications to get talks under way as
expected on April 13 between Iran and envoys from the five
permanent UN Security Council members and Germany. It also
could bring accusations of stall tactics by Iran`s leaders.
Iran`s foreign minister, Ali Akbar Salehi, said Istanbul
was Iran`s first choice as a venue. It has now been publicly
cited by the US and others as the site of the talks.
But Salehi appeared to leave open the possibility,
however small, that the negotiations could shift to another
"Holding talks in Baghdad, and also China, as venue has
been out there," Salehi told reporters after a Cabinet meeting
in Tehran. "This is a course that both sides need to agree on
... Istanbul was our initial proposal as the venue for the
talks. The Europeans initially rejected but then agreed. At
the same time, we had other countries in mind."
Salehi noted that the content of the talks is "more
important than the venue and timing."
"I think the future talks, compared to the past, will
hopefully be better and forward steps will be taken," he said.
Talks broke down in January 2011 over Iran`s refusal to
halt uranium enrichment in exchange for reactor-ready fuel
from abroad. The West and others fear Iran could use its
ability to make nuclear fuel as the foundation for an eventual
atomic weapons programme. Iran insists it only seeks nuclear
power for energy and medical research.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Manthan: Expert's tips to avoid stomach gas, constipation
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 declared
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced