Iran prosecutor: Blogger died in police custody
Tehran: Iran`s state prosecutor confirms that a jailed blogger died in police custody last week, and wounds were found on his body.
It`s the first official confirmation of Sattar Beheshti`s death in custody.
The US State Department and a press freedom group have called for investigation of the "suspicious death."
Prosecutor Gholam Hossein Mohseni Ejehi says wounds were found in five places on Beheshti`s body. Also, there was a copy of a letter of complaint in his name against his interrogator.
Ejehi`s remarks were reported by the semi-official Mehr news agency today.
Beheshti was detained October 31 for alleged cybercrimes. Iran`s judiciary chief has ordered an inquiry into his death. Dozens of bloggers and journalists have been arrested in crackdowns on dissent in Iran in recent years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country will not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh
- Can Lalu Prasad Yadav's elder son Tej be less in age than younger son Tejaswi?
- 'Rahul Gandhi gets pay without work'