Iran prosecutor: Blogger died in police custody
Tehran: Iran`s state prosecutor confirms that a jailed blogger died in police custody last week, and wounds were found on his body.
It`s the first official confirmation of Sattar Beheshti`s death in custody.
The US State Department and a press freedom group have called for investigation of the "suspicious death."
Prosecutor Gholam Hossein Mohseni Ejehi says wounds were found in five places on Beheshti`s body. Also, there was a copy of a letter of complaint in his name against his interrogator.
Ejehi`s remarks were reported by the semi-official Mehr news agency today.
Beheshti was detained October 31 for alleged cybercrimes. Iran`s judiciary chief has ordered an inquiry into his death. Dozens of bloggers and journalists have been arrested in crackdowns on dissent in Iran in recent years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report