Iran prosecutor: Blogger died in police custody
Tehran: Iran`s state prosecutor confirms that a jailed blogger died in police custody last week, and wounds were found on his body.
It`s the first official confirmation of Sattar Beheshti`s death in custody.
The US State Department and a press freedom group have called for investigation of the "suspicious death."
Prosecutor Gholam Hossein Mohseni Ejehi says wounds were found in five places on Beheshti`s body. Also, there was a copy of a letter of complaint in his name against his interrogator.
Ejehi`s remarks were reported by the semi-official Mehr news agency today.
Beheshti was detained October 31 for alleged cybercrimes. Iran`s judiciary chief has ordered an inquiry into his death. Dozens of bloggers and journalists have been arrested in crackdowns on dissent in Iran in recent years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 13,680 crore made under IDS by Mahesh Shah