Iran prosecutor: Blogger died in police custody
Tehran: Iran`s state prosecutor confirms that a jailed blogger died in police custody last week, and wounds were found on his body.
It`s the first official confirmation of Sattar Beheshti`s death in custody.
The US State Department and a press freedom group have called for investigation of the "suspicious death."
Prosecutor Gholam Hossein Mohseni Ejehi says wounds were found in five places on Beheshti`s body. Also, there was a copy of a letter of complaint in his name against his interrogator.
Ejehi`s remarks were reported by the semi-official Mehr news agency today.
Beheshti was detained October 31 for alleged cybercrimes. Iran`s judiciary chief has ordered an inquiry into his death. Dozens of bloggers and journalists have been arrested in crackdowns on dissent in Iran in recent years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...