Iran prosecutor: Blogger died in police custody
Tehran: Iran`s state prosecutor confirms that a jailed blogger died in police custody last week, and wounds were found on his body.
It`s the first official confirmation of Sattar Beheshti`s death in custody.
The US State Department and a press freedom group have called for investigation of the "suspicious death."
Prosecutor Gholam Hossein Mohseni Ejehi says wounds were found in five places on Beheshti`s body. Also, there was a copy of a letter of complaint in his name against his interrogator.
Ejehi`s remarks were reported by the semi-official Mehr news agency today.
Beheshti was detained October 31 for alleged cybercrimes. Iran`s judiciary chief has ordered an inquiry into his death. Dozens of bloggers and journalists have been arrested in crackdowns on dissent in Iran in recent years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Indrani Mukerjea's three plans to kill Sheena Bora
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan