Iran protests to UN over new US sanctions
United Nations: Iran has protested to the
United Nations over the latest sanctions imposed on it by
the US government, calling the measures "extremely dangerous"
and aiming to harm civilians.
Iran`s UN Ambassador Mohammad Khazaei said in a letter to UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon that "continuation of
this awkward US policy is extremely dangerous and will never
serve to the maintenance of international peace and security."
The protest was made a day after the US government banned
dealings with the national airline Iran Air and a port
operator owned by Iran`s Revolutionary Guard. Both were
accused of involvement in banned weapons and technology
transfers helping Iran`s nuclear programme.
Iran faces four rounds of UN sanctions over its refusal
to halt uranium enrichment. The country, however, denies
Western allegations that it is trying to build a nuclear bomb.
The US government "has sought recourse to a set of
untrue and void allegations against my country in order to
justify its unfair treatment towards the Iranian people," the
ambassador said in the letter, part of which was released by
the Iranian mission.
"There is no doubt that the main purpose of such an
unrealistic and hostile policy is to affect the lives of the
entire Iranian population and breach international law on
harming civilians populations," Khazaei said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Euro 2016: Belgium beat Hungary 4-0 to reach quarterfinal as Yannick Carrasco scores final goal
- Singapore Airlines flight caught fire during emergency landing at Changi Airport - Details here
- New survey reveals why men resort to unprotected sex
- 4.7 magnitude earthquake hits India-Bangladesh border region
- Google pays musical tribute to Bollywood legend RD Burman on his 77th birth anniversary! - See pic