Iran protests to UN over new US sanctions
United Nations: Iran has protested to the
United Nations over the latest sanctions imposed on it by
the US government, calling the measures "extremely dangerous"
and aiming to harm civilians.
Iran`s UN Ambassador Mohammad Khazaei said in a letter to UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon that "continuation of
this awkward US policy is extremely dangerous and will never
serve to the maintenance of international peace and security."
The protest was made a day after the US government banned
dealings with the national airline Iran Air and a port
operator owned by Iran`s Revolutionary Guard. Both were
accused of involvement in banned weapons and technology
transfers helping Iran`s nuclear programme.
Iran faces four rounds of UN sanctions over its refusal
to halt uranium enrichment. The country, however, denies
Western allegations that it is trying to build a nuclear bomb.
The US government "has sought recourse to a set of
untrue and void allegations against my country in order to
justify its unfair treatment towards the Iranian people," the
ambassador said in the letter, part of which was released by
the Iranian mission.
"There is no doubt that the main purpose of such an
unrealistic and hostile policy is to affect the lives of the
entire Iranian population and breach international law on
harming civilians populations," Khazaei said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Uttarakhand board Class 12th results 2016 to be declared today on May 25, 2016 at 11 AM
- 'Russia killed 28,000 militants in Syria, third of all IS forces'
- Thousands of migrants saved in 23 rescue operations off Libya
- Lashkar-e-Toiba carried out deadly 2007 Samjhauta Express blasts: NIA to submit this US intel report in court
- JeM planning Pathankot-II with support from Pakistan's ISI, IM, conducting recce of Indian cities: Military intel