Iran publicly hangs convicted teen murderer
Tehran: Iran on Wednesday publicly hanged a
teenage boy convicted of killing an athlete billed as "Iran`s
strongest man," local media reported.
Despite calls by human rights group Amnesty International
for an 11th-hour stay of the 17-year-old`s execution, Alireza
Molla-Soltani was sent to the gallows at the scene of the
crime in the city of Karaj, west of the capital.
A large crowd of people had gathered to witness the
hanging and security forces were present "to ensure the
sentence was carried out without any glitches," the official
IRNA news agency reported.
Molla-Soltani was sentenced to death last month for
stabbing the popular athlete, Ruhollah Dadashi, to death in
The teenager said at his trial he had killed only in
self-defence after a driving dispute led him and two other
youths into a confrontation with Dadashi, according to
A spokesman for the prosecution, Ali Ramezanmanesh said
the boy had reached "religious maturity" and was over 18 years
"The law views religious maturity as its criterion which
is calculated according to the lunar calendar, therefore the
convict is over 18 and there are no legal impediments" in the
way of the hanging, he told Fars news agency.
The Islamic lunar calendar is some 11 days shorter than
the solar calendar, with 354 days a year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan