Iran questions upcoming N-talks `with no agenda`
Moscow: Iran has said the EU`s failure to arrange experts` meeting for drafting an agenda about the nuclear talks has created an atmosphere of doubt and ambiguity.
On Wednesday, Tehran said the failure to draft an agenda for the upcoming nuclear talks in Moscow was not conducive to their success, IRNA news agency reported.
Western nations and Israel want to persuade Iran to give up its uranium enrichment programme, which they suspect is aimed at producing nuclear weapons. Iran says its nuclear programme is merely designed to generate energy.
Iran`s Secretary of Supreme National Security Council Saeed Jalili wrote to EU Foreign Policy Chief Catherine Ashton on Wednesday, saying that the EU`s failure to arrange experts` meeting to draft an agenda for the talks created an atmosphere of doubt and ambiguity for the Moscow talks.
Russia is hosting the third round of talks on Iran`s nuclear programme June 18-19.
"The Islamic Republic of Iran… wants to advance the nuclear talks," Jalili said, adding that talks just for the sake of talks "are not useful" and expressed hope that an agenda could still be drafted.
The US has warned of tightening sanctions against Iran if the Moscow negotiations fail to make progress on Iran`s nuclear programme.
"If we don`t get a breakthrough in Moscow there is no question we will continue to ratchet up the pressure," David Cohen, US treasury undersecretary for terrorism and financial intelligence, said.
"The sanctions are having an impact on Iran, but I also recognise that more needs to be done. And we are intent on doing more."
The previous round of six-nation talks with Iran was held in Baghdad May 23-24.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Maggi samples found unsafe: Delhi government
- DNA: Analysis of Vijay Mallya's 'fund transfer formula'
- IMD forecasts 'deficient' Monsoon, drought-like conditions expected
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing