Iran re-launches Russian-made submarine
Tehran: Iran`s state TV is reporting the country`s Navy re-launched one of its Russian-made submarines after repairing its systems with locally-made replacement parts.
Iran has tried to build a self-sufficient military program since 1992.
The report today says that Navy personnel overhauled the Taregh, one of its three Kilo class submarines, replacing 18,000 components including radar-evading cover, engine parts, propellers and radars.
State TV showed video of the re-launch from a dry dock in an Iranian port.
Iran added the three Kilo class submarines to its underwater fleet in early 1990s soon after it founded its submarine unit. Several smaller Iranian-built submarines have also been deployed by its Navy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Watch: Panel discussion on students turning traitors at JNU - Part IV
- Ex-Army officers threaten to return JNU degrees against 'anti-national' activities in campus
- Delhi Police issues alert over alleged Hafiz Saeed's tweet backing 'pro-Pak' JNU protesters
- Really? Is this why Deepika Padukone not open about her alleged relationship with Ranveer Singh?
- Congress leader from Gujarat conspired to implicate Narendra Modi in Ishrat Jahan case: Ex-IB officer
- JNU row: Congress VP meets protesting students; ABVP raises black flags, shout "Rahul Gandhi Go Back"