Iran re-launches Russian-made submarine
Tehran: Iran`s state TV is reporting the country`s Navy re-launched one of its Russian-made submarines after repairing its systems with locally-made replacement parts.
Iran has tried to build a self-sufficient military program since 1992.
The report today says that Navy personnel overhauled the Taregh, one of its three Kilo class submarines, replacing 18,000 components including radar-evading cover, engine parts, propellers and radars.
State TV showed video of the re-launch from a dry dock in an Iranian port.
Iran added the three Kilo class submarines to its underwater fleet in early 1990s soon after it founded its submarine unit. Several smaller Iranian-built submarines have also been deployed by its Navy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday