Iran re-launches Russian-made submarine
Tehran: Iran`s state TV is reporting the country`s Navy re-launched one of its Russian-made submarines after repairing its systems with locally-made replacement parts.
Iran has tried to build a self-sufficient military program since 1992.
The report today says that Navy personnel overhauled the Taregh, one of its three Kilo class submarines, replacing 18,000 components including radar-evading cover, engine parts, propellers and radars.
State TV showed video of the re-launch from a dry dock in an Iranian port.
Iran added the three Kilo class submarines to its underwater fleet in early 1990s soon after it founded its submarine unit. Several smaller Iranian-built submarines have also been deployed by its Navy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II