Iran re-launches Russian-made submarine
Tehran: Iran`s state TV is reporting the country`s Navy re-launched one of its Russian-made submarines after repairing its systems with locally-made replacement parts.
Iran has tried to build a self-sufficient military program since 1992.
The report today says that Navy personnel overhauled the Taregh, one of its three Kilo class submarines, replacing 18,000 components including radar-evading cover, engine parts, propellers and radars.
State TV showed video of the re-launch from a dry dock in an Iranian port.
Iran added the three Kilo class submarines to its underwater fleet in early 1990s soon after it founded its submarine unit. Several smaller Iranian-built submarines have also been deployed by its Navy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nawaz Sharif's dream of making Kashmir a terror hell will never come true, says Sushma Swaraj
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- Indian aid worker Judith D'Souza rescued from captors in Afghanistan returns home
- 80 killed, over 200 injured in twin suicide bomb attacks on Kabul protesters; Islamic State claims responsibility
- MUST WATCH: One to be treasured! Virat Kohli's 200 and Sunil Gavaskar's generous applause
- SCOPE for accountability check of NGOs getting funds from PSUs
- Govt to invest Rs 200 crore on scaling up existing incubators