Iran ready to halt 20% nuclear enrichment: Prez
Tehran: Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad
has reiterated Tehran`s readiness to "immediately" stop production of low enriched uranium of 20 per cent, provided
world powers give it the nuclear material.
"If they give us the 20 per cent (enriched) fuel, we will
immediately halt 20 per cent (enrichment)," Ahmadinejad said
in an interview aired live on Iranian state-run television repeating his comments to the New York Times when he was in New York to attend the UN General Assembly in late September.
The UN Security Council has slapped four rounds of
sanctions on Iran to get it to suspend uranium enrichment, a
process which can produce fuel for a reactor but which it says
-- contrary to Ahmadinejad`s assertion -- can also be used in
a nuclear warhead.
Iran started enriching uranium at 20 per cent level in
February 2010 after failed negotiation over a fuel swap which
would have seen Iran shipping out its 3.5 per cent enriched
uranium in exchange for 20 per cent fuel from Russia and
According to figures given by the International Atomic
Energy Agency published in September Iran has produced 70
kilos (155 pounds) of 20 per cent enriched uranium.
"Production of 20 per cent (enriched) fuel is not economical. It is expensive and there is no (export) market
that would to justify continuing to operate the plant," he
added in his national address.
Ahmadinejad insisted that repeating Iran`s readiness to
give up 20 per cent enrichment was "a way to disarm (world
powers) ... who say 20 per cent means one step closer to the
He added, however, that "we need fuel to 3.5 per cent for
our plants and research."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH