Iran releases jailed US citizen
Washington: Iran has released a US-Iranian businessman after keeping him in detention for more than two years, his lawyer told broadcaster CNN.
Reza Taghavi, 71, was released Saturday and plans shortly to leave Iran with his family to return to the US, the lawyer said.
Taghavi was arrested in May 2008, accused by Iranian authorities of having given $200 to an organisation hostile to the government in Tehran. He insisted that he had acted on behalf of a Los Angeles acquaintance, who had asked Taghavi to give the money to a friend in need in Tehran.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter