Iran releases jailed US citizen
Washington: Iran has released a US-Iranian businessman after keeping him in detention for more than two years, his lawyer told broadcaster CNN.
Reza Taghavi, 71, was released Saturday and plans shortly to leave Iran with his family to return to the US, the lawyer said.
Taghavi was arrested in May 2008, accused by Iranian authorities of having given $200 to an organisation hostile to the government in Tehran. He insisted that he had acted on behalf of a Los Angeles acquaintance, who had asked Taghavi to give the money to a friend in need in Tehran.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?