Iran releases opposition figure on bail: Report
Tehran: Iran`s state-owned newspaper says authorities have released one of the country`s most prominent pro-reform figures on bail.
Saeed Hajjarian is considered a top architect of the movement pushing for more social and political freedoms in Iran. He is among more than 100 opposition politicians and activists on trial since August to face accusations of fomenting unrest after the disputed Presidential Election in June.
Thursday`s edition of the IRNA newspaper said Hajjarian was released on USD 200,000 bail on Wednesday.
Hajjarian admitted fuelling the unrest, but the opposition dismissed his confession as coerced.
Hajjarian supported opposition leader Mir Hossein Mousavi, who claims he was the rightful winner of the election.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part III
- 'Masaan' will always be a special film for me: Richa Chadha
- DoT to issue demand notices this week to 6 telcos for 2006-07
- Not Virat Kohli but Joe Root is the best batsman in cricket: Muhammad Yousuf
- Priyanka Chopra to join Hollywood stars for anti-poverty concert
- Cleanliness an issue at railway stations, needs to be addressed: CAG