Iran reports 6.1 earthquake west of Shiraz
Tehran: A 6.1 magnitude earthquake hit southern Iran Monday but there were no immediate reports of casualties.
The Iranian Seismological Center reported that the quake hit at 7:22 a.m. EDT (11:22 GMT) at a depth of 8 km (5 miles) in Konar Takhteh, west of the city of Shiraz. The U.S. Geological Survey reported a 5.7 magnitude quake west of Shiraz.
A local official confirmed the quake, saying: "So far we have no reports of casualties." Residents in Shiraz felt the quake, a witness told Reuters.
Iran is criss-crossed by major faultlines and is frequently hit by earthquakes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi