Iran responds to Vienna group queries on fuel swap: IAEA
Vienna: Iran has responded to queries raised by the Vienna group of diplomatic powers over a nuclear fuel swap deal proposed by Brazil, Turkey and Tehran, the UN`s atomic watchdog said Tuesday.
"IAEA Director General Yukiya Amano today received a letter from the government of Iran concerning the provision of nuclear fuel for the Tehran research reactor," the
International Atomic Energy Agency said in a statement.
The Vienna group, comprising Russia, France and the United States, had raised several questions regarding the deal proposed by Brazil, Turkey and Iran on May 17 that has since come to be known as the Tehran Declaration.
"The letter has been conveyed to the governments of France, Russia and the United States, as well as to the governments of Brazil and Turkey," IAEA spokeswoman Gill Tudor said.
The agency did not say how Iran had responded.
Iran`s Fars news agency reported earlier Monday that Iran`s response, in the form of a letter to the IAEA, was signed by the country`s atomic chief, Ali Akbar Salehi.
Iranian state television later quoted Tehran`s envoy to the IAEA, Ali Asghar Soltanieh, as saying that he had handed over the letter.
The state television`s website said Iran had not laid down any preconditions for talks in its response, and had asserted that whenever the Vienna group was ready, Tehran would be prepared to swap the fuel.
The deal proposed that Iran send 1,200 kilograms of its low-enriched uranium (LEU) to Turkey in return at a later date for high-enriched uranium to be used as fuel for a research
reactor in the capital.
World powers cold-shouldered this proposal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- Watch 15 reports from 15 cities
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Sheena murder case: Unfolding deceit, lies and murder!
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Osama bin Laden is alive, staying in Bahamas, claims Edward Snowden