Iran, Russia discuss Syrian crisis
Tehran: Iranian President Hassan Rouhani and his Russian counterpart Vladimir Putin discussed the mounting pressures on Syria and agreed to step up efforts to prevent any military action against Syria, Press TV reported Thursday.
In a telephone conversation late Wednesday, the two presidents stressed that any use of military force against another country without a mandate from the UN is a blatant violation of international law, Xinhua reported.
Putin and Rouhani also emphasised that the Syrian crisis must be resolved only through diplomatic means, according to the report.
Iran and Russia, as the main supporters of Damascus regime, have strongly opposed any move which might escalate tension in Syria.
Five permanent members of the UN Security Council met Wednesday to discuss a British proposal for a draft resolution in response to the alleged chemical weapon attack on civilians in Syria last week.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Bajirao Mastani' still galloping at box office, mints Rs 350 cr!
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016
- Divyansh Kakrora's death: Probe nails Ryan International School for glaring lapses; father alleges child was sodomised before murder
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step