Iran, Russia discuss Syrian crisis
Tehran: Iranian President Hassan Rouhani and his Russian counterpart Vladimir Putin discussed the mounting pressures on Syria and agreed to step up efforts to prevent any military action against Syria, Press TV reported Thursday.
In a telephone conversation late Wednesday, the two presidents stressed that any use of military force against another country without a mandate from the UN is a blatant violation of international law, Xinhua reported.
Putin and Rouhani also emphasised that the Syrian crisis must be resolved only through diplomatic means, according to the report.
Iran and Russia, as the main supporters of Damascus regime, have strongly opposed any move which might escalate tension in Syria.
Five permanent members of the UN Security Council met Wednesday to discuss a British proposal for a draft resolution in response to the alleged chemical weapon attack on civilians in Syria last week.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority