Iran sanctions matter of days: Biden
Washington: The UN will impose sanctions against Iran for illegally pursuing nuclear weapons "in a matter of days", US Vice President Joe Biden has said.
During a live appearance on ABC`s `The View` on Thursday, Biden said UN sanctions, backed by the permanent members of the UN Security Council, including China, will be announced by the end of this month or in the first week of May.
"Everyone from the Israeli Prime Minister straight through to the British Prime Minister to the President of Russia, everyone agrees that the next step we should take is the UN sanctions route," he said.
"I believe you`ll see a sanctions regime coming out by the end of this month, the beginning of next month."
The US and its Western allies have long opposed Iran`s pursuit of nuclear weapons, but have been unable to push a sanctions regime with real teeth through the UN without the support of Russia and China.
Last week, at the end of a 47-nation nuclear security summit, President Barack Obama announced that the Chinese had agreed in principal to supporting a sanctions regime.
"This is the first time the entire world is unified. Iran is out of bounds," Biden said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?