Iran sanctions matter of days: Biden
Washington: The UN will impose sanctions against Iran for illegally pursuing nuclear weapons "in a matter of days", US Vice President Joe Biden has said.
During a live appearance on ABC`s `The View` on Thursday, Biden said UN sanctions, backed by the permanent members of the UN Security Council, including China, will be announced by the end of this month or in the first week of May.
"Everyone from the Israeli Prime Minister straight through to the British Prime Minister to the President of Russia, everyone agrees that the next step we should take is the UN sanctions route," he said.
"I believe you`ll see a sanctions regime coming out by the end of this month, the beginning of next month."
The US and its Western allies have long opposed Iran`s pursuit of nuclear weapons, but have been unable to push a sanctions regime with real teeth through the UN without the support of Russia and China.
Last week, at the end of a 47-nation nuclear security summit, President Barack Obama announced that the Chinese had agreed in principal to supporting a sanctions regime.
"This is the first time the entire world is unified. Iran is out of bounds," Biden said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister