Iran sanctions matter of days: Biden
Washington: The UN will impose sanctions against Iran for illegally pursuing nuclear weapons "in a matter of days", US Vice President Joe Biden has said.
During a live appearance on ABC`s `The View` on Thursday, Biden said UN sanctions, backed by the permanent members of the UN Security Council, including China, will be announced by the end of this month or in the first week of May.
"Everyone from the Israeli Prime Minister straight through to the British Prime Minister to the President of Russia, everyone agrees that the next step we should take is the UN sanctions route," he said.
"I believe you`ll see a sanctions regime coming out by the end of this month, the beginning of next month."
The US and its Western allies have long opposed Iran`s pursuit of nuclear weapons, but have been unable to push a sanctions regime with real teeth through the UN without the support of Russia and China.
Last week, at the end of a 47-nation nuclear security summit, President Barack Obama announced that the Chinese had agreed in principal to supporting a sanctions regime.
"This is the first time the entire world is unified. Iran is out of bounds," Biden said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid Part II
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid Part III
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid Part IV
- Chennai: Woman Infosys employee stabbed to death at railway station
- AIR to launch channel for cross-border listeners
- Golfer Vani Kappor grabs her 5th title of the season
- REVEALED: Virat Kohli reveals the number of tattoos on his body!
- As Britain decides to exit EU, Scotland mulls second vote on independence from UK
- Pope Francis visits Armenia with Mideast peace message