Iran sanctions `practically agreed upon`: Putin
Istanbul: Fresh UN sanctions against Iran
over its suspect nuclear programme have been "practically
agreed upon", Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin was quoted
as saying here by Russia`s ITAR-TASS news agency.
"We have worked a lot and believe that the resolution is
practically agreed upon," Putin told a news conference here.
Russia, one of the five permanent veto-wielding members
of the UN Security Council, believes that the sanctions should
not be extreme, he said.
"Our point of view is that these decisions should not be
excessive and should not put the Iranian people in a
complicated position which would put up barriers on the path
to peaceful nuclear energy," Putin added.
The Russian leader also said he could hold a meeting with
Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad in Istanbul where they
were both attending the summit of an Asian security grouping.
"I believe we might have the opportunity to meet if need
be. We can discuss these issues with him," Putin said.
Earlier today, Ahmadinejad said that his country would
not hold talks over its nuclear drive if it was slapped with
"I have said that the US government and its allies are
mistaken if they think they can brandish the stick of
resolution and then sit down to talk with us, such a thing
will not happen," he warned.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa Reloaded: Shahid reveals about meeting Aishwarya
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!