Iran says blogger who died in custody was beaten
Tehran: Iran`s state prosecutor has confirmed for the first time that a blogger who died in police custody last month had been beaten.
Prosecutor Gholam Hossein Mohseni Ejehi told reporters Monday that an investigation into the death of Sattar Beheshti has found that he was beaten from the day of his arrest.
Ejehi said the beatings were not the cause of death, which most likely came from physical or psychological shock. The comments were reported by the semiofficial ISNA news agency.
The confirmation comes two days after Iran`s police fired the head of the Tehran cybercrimes unit over the case.
According to Iranian officials, Beheshti was detained October 30 for alleged "cybercrimes" and was imprisoned and interrogated the next day. Beheshti died November 3, and wounds were found on his body.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'