Iran says blogger who died in custody was beaten
Tehran: Iran`s state prosecutor has confirmed for the first time that a blogger who died in police custody last month had been beaten.
Prosecutor Gholam Hossein Mohseni Ejehi told reporters Monday that an investigation into the death of Sattar Beheshti has found that he was beaten from the day of his arrest.
Ejehi said the beatings were not the cause of death, which most likely came from physical or psychological shock. The comments were reported by the semiofficial ISNA news agency.
The confirmation comes two days after Iran`s police fired the head of the Tehran cybercrimes unit over the case.
According to Iranian officials, Beheshti was detained October 30 for alleged "cybercrimes" and was imprisoned and interrogated the next day. Beheshti died November 3, and wounds were found on his body.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists?
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part II
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part III
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part IV
- Why are schools insensitive over complexities of poor families?
- HC tells cops to act if offence made out against Owaisi
- After Kejriwal's dramatic video message, sacked AAP minister claims his life under threat from Delhi CM
- Ruthlessness and positive the key to success in bowling: Ishant Sharma
- Telangana: suspension of 11 lower court judges revoked
- Aung San Suu Kyi keen to visit India