Iran says it seeks to strengthen Lebanese Army
Tehran: Iran`s defence minister says it is
Tehran`s strategic policy to strengthen the Lebanese army.
The comments by Gen. Ahmad Vahidi to his visiting
Lebanese counterpart, Fayez Ghosn, were posted on the Iranian
defense ministry`s website on Monday.
Iran is a key supporter of the Lebanese group Hezbollah.
Tehran denies arming the Shia militant movement, but is
believed to funnel it weapons and millions of dollars in
Ghosn is a member of Marada, a Christian party allied
with Hezbollah. Both groups are close to Syria`s embattled
President Bashar Assad, who is traditionally a major
power-broker in Lebanon but faces an uprising against his
Tehran may be trying to strengthen its independent ties
in Lebanon if Assad falls.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Gurdaspur terror attack: Blow-by-blow account
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea