Iran says it seeks to strengthen Lebanese Army
Tehran: Iran`s defence minister says it is
Tehran`s strategic policy to strengthen the Lebanese army.
The comments by Gen. Ahmad Vahidi to his visiting
Lebanese counterpart, Fayez Ghosn, were posted on the Iranian
defense ministry`s website on Monday.
Iran is a key supporter of the Lebanese group Hezbollah.
Tehran denies arming the Shia militant movement, but is
believed to funnel it weapons and millions of dollars in
Ghosn is a member of Marada, a Christian party allied
with Hezbollah. Both groups are close to Syria`s embattled
President Bashar Assad, who is traditionally a major
power-broker in Lebanon but faces an uprising against his
Tehran may be trying to strengthen its independent ties
in Lebanon if Assad falls.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez