Iran seeks closer defence ties with Russia
Tehran: Iranian Defence Minister Brigadier General Hossein Dehqan said Tuesday that it is essential for Tehran and Moscow to bolster defence cooperation.
Further expansion of cooperation between Iran and Russia in the defence sector plays a major role in maintaining regional and global security, reported Xinhua citing the minister in response to a congratulatory message by Russian Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu on his approval as Iran`s defence minister.
Russia enjoys a special position in the Islamic republic`s foreign policy, Dehqan added.
In his congratulatory message, Shoigu called for closer ties between the armed forces of Russia and Iran.
Last week, Russia`s Air Force Commander in Chief Lieutenant General Viktor Bondarev visited Tehran to discuss boosting military cooperation with the Islamic republic.
Bondarev praised the achievements of Iran`s defence industry, particularly the modifications to the Russian-made S-200 missile defence systems by the Iranian experts, said media here.
The two countries agreed to boost defence ties on information and air defence techniques, electronic and radar as well as missile systems.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- Ban on internet porn: Here's why it is impossible
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' impact: Govt agrees to help deaf-and-dumb Indian girl stranded in Pakistan
- Govt doesn't want you to even watch porn in private, blocks over 800 sites
- Personality check: What is the colour of your eyes?