Iran seeks closer defence ties with Russia
Tehran: Iranian Defence Minister Brigadier General Hossein Dehqan said Tuesday that it is essential for Tehran and Moscow to bolster defence cooperation.
Further expansion of cooperation between Iran and Russia in the defence sector plays a major role in maintaining regional and global security, reported Xinhua citing the minister in response to a congratulatory message by Russian Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu on his approval as Iran`s defence minister.
Russia enjoys a special position in the Islamic republic`s foreign policy, Dehqan added.
In his congratulatory message, Shoigu called for closer ties between the armed forces of Russia and Iran.
Last week, Russia`s Air Force Commander in Chief Lieutenant General Viktor Bondarev visited Tehran to discuss boosting military cooperation with the Islamic republic.
Bondarev praised the achievements of Iran`s defence industry, particularly the modifications to the Russian-made S-200 missile defence systems by the Iranian experts, said media here.
The two countries agreed to boost defence ties on information and air defence techniques, electronic and radar as well as missile systems.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy