Iran sending wrong message by appointing Vahidi: US
Washington: The US on Friday said Iran has taken a "step backward" and sent a "wrong message" by appointing Ahmad Vahidi, a suspect in a terror attack, as the country`s Defence Minister.
Commenting on the appointment of Vahidi, who is wanted by Interpol for an attack on a Jewish charity centre in Argentina, Assistant Secretary of State for Public Affairs, PJ Crowley told reporters at the daily briefing, "We, the United States, have been awaiting a message from Iran, a message that they want to shift take a new approach, take a fresh approach".
"We have been hoping that they would be willing to engage the United States and the international community to help to move forward, to resolve the questions that we have about their behaviour, and including their well-known state sponsorship of terrorism," he said.
In response to a question on appointment of Vahidi as the new Iranian Defence Minister, Crowley said, "We find today`s action disturbing, and we think that for Iran, it is sending precisely the wrong message".
"We certainly support Argentina`s efforts to bring justice to the perpetrators of the 1994 terrorist bombing of the Argentine-Israeli Mutual Association in Buenos Aires," he said.
"But unfortunately, rather than taking a step forward to engage the US and the international community, Iran today is taking a step backward by putting into a high office a well-known individual suspected of participation in a terrorist act," Crowley said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says