Iran sending wrong message by appointing Vahidi: US
Washington: The US on Friday said Iran has taken a "step backward" and sent a "wrong message" by appointing Ahmad Vahidi, a suspect in a terror attack, as the country`s Defence Minister.
Commenting on the appointment of Vahidi, who is wanted by Interpol for an attack on a Jewish charity centre in Argentina, Assistant Secretary of State for Public Affairs, PJ Crowley told reporters at the daily briefing, "We, the United States, have been awaiting a message from Iran, a message that they want to shift take a new approach, take a fresh approach".
"We have been hoping that they would be willing to engage the United States and the international community to help to move forward, to resolve the questions that we have about their behaviour, and including their well-known state sponsorship of terrorism," he said.
In response to a question on appointment of Vahidi as the new Iranian Defence Minister, Crowley said, "We find today`s action disturbing, and we think that for Iran, it is sending precisely the wrong message".
"We certainly support Argentina`s efforts to bring justice to the perpetrators of the 1994 terrorist bombing of the Argentine-Israeli Mutual Association in Buenos Aires," he said.
"But unfortunately, rather than taking a step forward to engage the US and the international community, Iran today is taking a step backward by putting into a high office a well-known individual suspected of participation in a terrorist act," Crowley said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- After Anil Vij, Vijay Goel announces support for Dera Sacha's sports village in Haryana
- PV Sindhu, Sakshi Malik, Dipa Karmakar, Jitu Rai conferred with Khel Ratna award
- Attention cinema lovers, Will Smith was a guest at Akshay Kumar's success party! – See pics
- Six scientists end year-long Mars mission
- I have made many fashion blunders: Karisma Kapoor