Iran sends 150 elite troops to aid Syria regime
Tehran: Iran has reportedly sent 150 senior Revolutionary Guards commanders to Syria in a bid to intensify its support for the regime of President Bashar al-Assad.
Western intelligence officials have claimed that Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has personally sanctioned the dispatch of the experienced officers to ensure that the Assad regime survives the threat to its survival.
Iran has also reportedly shipped hundreds of tons of military equipment, including guns, rockets, and shells to Syria through the regular air corridor that has been established between Damascus and Tehran, the Telegraph reports.
The Revolutionary Guards officers were flown to Damascus in chartered Iranian aircraft, which were given permission to fly through Iraqi air space.
Iranian military equipment is said to have been shipped to Syria by the same route, the paper said.
According to the report, the Iranian operation to support Assad is being masterminded by Qassem Suleimani, the head of the Guards` Quds force, which is responsible for overseeing Iran`s overseas operations.
The decision to increase Iran`s support for Syria was taken after the Syrian defence minister and Assad`s brother-in-law were killed in a suicide bomb attack at Syria`s national security headquarters in July, the paper said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets
- After Jayalalithaa, Sasikala Natarajan holds all cards – Know more about her