Iran sends 150 elite troops to aid Syria regime
Tehran: Iran has reportedly sent 150 senior Revolutionary Guards commanders to Syria in a bid to intensify its support for the regime of President Bashar al-Assad.
Western intelligence officials have claimed that Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has personally sanctioned the dispatch of the experienced officers to ensure that the Assad regime survives the threat to its survival.
Iran has also reportedly shipped hundreds of tons of military equipment, including guns, rockets, and shells to Syria through the regular air corridor that has been established between Damascus and Tehran, the Telegraph reports.
The Revolutionary Guards officers were flown to Damascus in chartered Iranian aircraft, which were given permission to fly through Iraqi air space.
Iranian military equipment is said to have been shipped to Syria by the same route, the paper said.
According to the report, the Iranian operation to support Assad is being masterminded by Qassem Suleimani, the head of the Guards` Quds force, which is responsible for overseeing Iran`s overseas operations.
The decision to increase Iran`s support for Syria was taken after the Syrian defence minister and Assad`s brother-in-law were killed in a suicide bomb attack at Syria`s national security headquarters in July, the paper said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed