Iran sends 150 elite troops to aid Syria regime
Tehran: Iran has reportedly sent 150 senior Revolutionary Guards commanders to Syria in a bid to intensify its support for the regime of President Bashar al-Assad.
Western intelligence officials have claimed that Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has personally sanctioned the dispatch of the experienced officers to ensure that the Assad regime survives the threat to its survival.
Iran has also reportedly shipped hundreds of tons of military equipment, including guns, rockets, and shells to Syria through the regular air corridor that has been established between Damascus and Tehran, the Telegraph reports.
The Revolutionary Guards officers were flown to Damascus in chartered Iranian aircraft, which were given permission to fly through Iraqi air space.
Iranian military equipment is said to have been shipped to Syria by the same route, the paper said.
According to the report, the Iranian operation to support Assad is being masterminded by Qassem Suleimani, the head of the Guards` Quds force, which is responsible for overseeing Iran`s overseas operations.
The decision to increase Iran`s support for Syria was taken after the Syrian defence minister and Assad`s brother-in-law were killed in a suicide bomb attack at Syria`s national security headquarters in July, the paper said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Importance of showing gratitude Part II
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Importance of showing gratitude Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Importance of showing gratitude Part IV
- PM Modi addresses the nation in 20th edition of 'Mann Ki Baat'
- PM Modi addresses the nation in 20th edition of 'Mann Ki Baat' Part II
- If Priyanka Gandhi takes charge of Congress then BJP will face tough challenge: Ramdev
- 'Jai Hind' – this is how Air India will wish passengers now!
- Government vows to crack down on super-rich tax evaders
- Watch: Dwayne DJ Bravo gives rib-tickling sneak-peek into upcoming episode of 'The Kapil Sharma Show'!
- Sting row: Harish Rawat asked to appear before CBI on May 24