Iran sends warships to Atlantic
Tehran: Two Iranian warships set sail today for the Atlantic Ocean on their navy`s first-ever mission there, state TV reported.
The voyage comes amid an ongoing push by Iran to demonstrate the ability to project power across the Middle East and beyond.
The report said that the destroyer Sabalan and the logistic helicopter carrier Khark will be dispatched on a three-month voyage.
"The warships will have task of securing shipping routes as well as training new personnel," the semi-official Fars news agency quoted Iran`s navy chief Admiral Habibollah Sayyari as saying.
It said the ships, carrying some 30 navy academy cadets for training along with their regular crews, left the southern Iranian port of Bandar Abbas. It did not mention any ports of call.
Iran has regularly deployed warships to the Gulf of Aden off the eastern coast of Africa to fight piracy and protect commercial ships.
The recent Iranian naval surge is also a response to US naval deployment near the Islamic Republic`s coasts in the Persian Gulf. The US Navy`s 5th fleet is based in Bahrain - across the gulf from Iran.
It has also sent its warships to Syrian waters in recent years.
In 2012, Iran said it aims to put warships in international waters off the US coast within the next few years, and extend its reach as far as Antarctica.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ganga river crosses danger mark in UP, Bihar and West Bengal
- NDMC issues notices to President's Estate for mosquito breeding
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of loss caused by floods in India
- Jio test uses commercial airwaves, but no revenue to govt: COAI
- South Africa vs New Zealand, 1st Test, Day 4: Play abandoned again in Durban
- RBL Bank's IPO oversubscribed 3 times on Day 2
- GST promises to boost GDP growth rates by up to 2%: President
- Vodafone to start e-KYC from Aug 24 for instant SIM activation