Iran sentences 13 people for spying for Israel
Tehran: An Iranian court has sentenced 13 people found guilty of spying for Israeli intelligence agency Mossad, Press TV reported on Sunday.
Branch 15 of Tehran`s Revolution Court delivered the verdicts on Sunday, stating that the convicts had been lured into spying for the Mossad by overseas-based satellite television networks and clever advertisement campaigns, the report said without details on the verdicts, Xinhua reported.
The convicts have 20 days to appeal against the verdicts, the semi-official Mehr news agency said, adding that the details of the verdicts will be announced after confirmation by the appeals court.
On April 17, the Iranian Intelligence Ministry announced that it had arrested 15 Israel-linked "spies" and "terrorists".
The ministry said in a statement that in the operations by Iranian intelligence forces, 15 people, both Iranians and foreigners who were linked to an Israeli spy cell, had been detained.
Iran has accused Israel of carrying out intelligence work inside the Islamic republic and even of being involved in killings of Iranian nuclear scientists.
Israel and the West suspect Iran`s nuclear programme and accuse Iran of conducting weapon-grade activities under the guise of civilian nuclear programme. Iran denies the charges, saying that its nuclear activities are "peaceful".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SC intervenes into Khap panchayat's rape order of two UP sisters, seeks report from Akhilesh govt
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Is it Hardik Patel in this viral MMS Sex Video?