Iran sentences 3 opposition activists to prison
Tehran: Iran has sentenced three prominent political activists to six years in prison each for involvement in the country`s post-election turmoil, the official IRNA news agency reported Monday.
The three are among more than 100 opposition figures who were put on a mass trial in the wake of the country`s disputed June presidential elections. The trial has led to a dozen death sentences so far.
IRNA said the activists — Mohsen Mirdamadi, Mostafa Tajzadeh and Davood Soleimani — were convicted of spreading propaganda against Iran. The court also banned them from any kind of political activity for 10 years.
The Iranian opposition, led by Mir Hossein Mousavi, charges that the re-election of President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad was fraudulent and that Mousavi was the rightful winner.
In the latest developments in the government push to silence reformist voices, a pro-reform newspaper was ordered shut down over charges of questioning the election and criticizing government officials.
The semi-official Fars news agency reported on Monday that the Press Supervisory Board ordered the Bahar daily closed for "spreading doubts on fundamental issues such as elections, questioning the pillars of the system and libel against state officials."
It didn`t provide further details, but government closure of media outlets has become common in the past decade, during which time more than 120 independent and liberal newspapers and magazines have been banned.
Since the post-election crisis, authorities have primarily targeted newspapers critical of Ahmadinejad over vague charges of insulting authorities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part III
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part IV
- Are central govt employees justified in demanding salary hike?
- Another blow to YS Jaganmohan Reddy, ED attaches assets worth Rs 749.10 crore
- Toyota recalls 3.37 million cars over airbag, emissions control issues
- 7th Central Pay Commission: 14 key facts that all government employees must know
- Priyanka Gandhi Vadra to campaign outside Amethi and Rae Bareilly in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections?
- 'India stalling dialogue with Pakistan to avoid negotiations on Kashmir'