Iran shops banned from selling Valentine gifts
Tehran: Shops in Iran have been banned
from selling Valentine cards and gifts as the traditional
lovers` day gains increasing popularity in the Islamic
"In the run-up to Valentine`s Day on February 14 the
printing works owners` union issued a directive banning the
printing and distribution of any goods promoting this day,"
ILNA news agency reported today.
"Printing and producing any goods related to this day
including posters, boxes and cards emblazoned with hearts or
half-hearts, red roses and any activities promoting this day
are banned," the union said in the directive.
"Outlets that violate this will be legally dealt
with," it warned.
Over the past three decades Iran`s conservative
Islamic regime has sought to prevent the spread of Western
culture among its overwhelmingly young population.
But Valentine`s Day has become very popular in Iran
over the past decade, with young men and women exchanging
chocolate, flowers, perfume, teddy bears and other gifts on
Every year gift shops in large cities are festooned out
with Valentine`s Day paraphernalia and restaurants in Tehran
are packed with young men and women out on a date.
However, the trend has been harshly criticised by
conservatives who see no room in Islamic culture for such
Some nationalist Iranians have also suggested
replacing Valentine`s Day with Mehregan -- a pre-Islamic but
obsolete festival in early October -- marking the autumn
equinox and honouring the ancient Persian angel of love,
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- BSF cancels beating the retreat ceremony at Wagah post surgical strikes
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says