Iran should send nuclear offer to IAEA: US
Washington: The United States reacted cautiously on Wednesday to a statement by Iran`s President accepting a swap of enriched uranium for nuclear fuel, saying Tehran should submit a formal offer of the deal to international authorities.
"If Mr (Mahmoud) Ahmadinejad`s comments reflect an updated Iranian position, we look forward to Iran informing the IAEA," White House official Mike Hammer said, referring to the Vienna-based International Atomic Energy Agency.
Ahmadinejad said on Tuesday that Iran was willing to send its uranium abroad in exchange for processed nuclear fuel -- seemingly accepting a deal put forward by nations who fear Tehran is trying to develop nuclear weapons.
Iran would have "no problem" sending out its stocks of low-enriched uranium (LEU) to be further purified into reactor fuel for use at a research facility, Ahmadinejad said in a television interview.
Hammer, spokesman for President Barack Obama`s National Security Council, said the West had made a "good faith and balanced offer" that would provide Iran with fuel for a research reactor.
"We believe it makes sense for all parties," he said. Iran needs nuclear fuel to power its UN-monitored reactor but the West fears its uranium enrichment programme is masking efforts to produce atomic weapons -- claims vehemently denied by the Islamic republic.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video