Iran showcases new warships near strategic waters
Tehran: Iran`s state TV is showcasing additions to its Navy including a missile-launching warship around the size of a frigate.
Navy officials watched as the domestically-produced Sina-7, equipped with anti-ship missiles, was launched today at Bandar Abbas, near the strategic Strait of Hormuz. Two new Iranian-built Ghadir submarines and two repaired hovercrafts were also delivered to the Navy.
The TV quoted Navy chief Rear Admiral Habibollah Sayyari as saying that Iran must possess the "newest technology and top-grade facilities to protect its borders."
Ghadir class submarines can fire missiles and torpedoes at the same time, and can operate in the Persian Gulf`s shallow waters.
Iran has sought to upgrade its air defense and naval capabilities, saying any possible future attacks on it would come from the air and sea.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @ 12 pm
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon