Iran showcases new warships near strategic waters
Tehran: Iran`s state TV is showcasing additions to its Navy including a missile-launching warship around the size of a frigate.
Navy officials watched as the domestically-produced Sina-7, equipped with anti-ship missiles, was launched today at Bandar Abbas, near the strategic Strait of Hormuz. Two new Iranian-built Ghadir submarines and two repaired hovercrafts were also delivered to the Navy.
The TV quoted Navy chief Rear Admiral Habibollah Sayyari as saying that Iran must possess the "newest technology and top-grade facilities to protect its borders."
Ghadir class submarines can fire missiles and torpedoes at the same time, and can operate in the Persian Gulf`s shallow waters.
Iran has sought to upgrade its air defense and naval capabilities, saying any possible future attacks on it would come from the air and sea.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'