Iran situation a train wreck: McCain
Cernobbio: US Sen John McCain says he is disappointed with his party`s presidential candidate for sidestepping world affairs in his campaign for the White House but reserves his most scathing words for the current dweller, blaming Barack Obama for inaction while the situation in Syria and elsewhere "cries out for American leadership."
In an interview with The Associated Press in Italy today, the 2008 Republican presidential candidate criticised the man who won that election for not aiding rebels in Syria, abandoning Iraq and Afghanistan, and delaying tough decisions on Iran`s nuclear programme.
"In a way it`s almost like watching a train wreck," he said of the apparent failure to stem Iran`s nuclear efforts.
What does the senator from Arizona make of the notable absence of such talk at last month`s Republican National Convention that nominated Mitt Romney and focused mostly on the economy?
The famous straight-talker was cautiously bipartisan.
"Yup, it was" absent, he said.
"The election is about jobs and the economy, but a failed ... National security policy over time is going to lead to significant domestic problems."
"It`s the job of presidents and candidates to lead and articulate their vision for America`s role in the world.
The world is a more dangerous place than it`s been since the end of the Cold War, and so I think the president should lead and I think candidates for the presidency should lead and talk about it, and I`m disappointed that there hasn`t been more."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday