Iran slams British remarks on its N-programme
Tehran: Iran has dismissed Britain`s defence secretary`s recent remarks about Tehran`s nuclear programme and justification of western sanctions on it, Xinhua reported.
Iranian Defence Minister Brigadier General Ahmad Vahidi Tuesday dismissed British defence secretary Philip Hammond`s remarks that the Western sanctions over Iran`s nuclear programme "were necessary to pressure Iran to end its nuclear activities," claiming that Tehran`s "mad scheme to build a bomb has to be brought to an end".
Hammond made the comments while talking to a British daily Sunday.
"We can definitely make the pain [resulting from sanctions against the Iranian people] much greater," he added.
The Iranian minister asked: "Are the British government`s measures, which possesses over 200 strategic nuclear warheads ... ranks the third in the world in terms of nuclear weapon tests, and produces 3.2 million cubic metres of nuclear waste `mad`, or Iran`s peaceful nuclear activities?"
Vahidi noted that the British defence secretary`s "mad" remarks have disclosed his true intention proving that their allegations against Iran`s nuclear programme are anything but excuses and they only mean to inflict pain and suffering on the Iranian nation.
West accuses Iran of developing nuclear weapons under the cover of civilian nuclear programme. Iran rejects the claims and insists on its "peaceful" nature.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!