Iran slams Pakistan over border guards abduction
Tehran: Iran on Sunday denounced what it called Pakistan`s inability to secure its own borders after five Iranian soldiers were kidnapped and taken into its eastern neighbour by Sunni extremists.
"We are unhappy with the Pakistani government over the abduction of our guards and their transfer to Pakistan," Fars news agency reported quoted police chief Esmail Ahmadi-Moghadam as saying.
Jaish-ul Adl, the rebel group formed in 2012 whose name in Arabic means Army of Justice, has said it was behind the kidnapping in Iran`s restive southeast province of Sistan-Baluchestan.
The group posted pictures on its Facebook page it said were of the soldiers, handcuffed and being held in an unknown location.
The foreign ministry in Tehran summoned Pakistan`s charge d`affaires, demanding that Islamabad "act firmly against the leaders and members of the terrorist group who have fled into Pakistan", media reports said.
Home to a large Sunni minority and ethnic Baluch in a predominantly Shiite country, Sistan-Baluchestan province has been the scene of unrest in recent years.
Jaish-ul Adl said in November it assassinated a local prosecutor, and in October it ambushed Iranian border guards, killing 14.
In response, Iranian authorities executed 16 "rebels" -- eight Sunni insurgents and eight drug traffickers.
Another Sunni militant group Jundallah (Soldiers of God), whose leader Abdolmalek Rigi was hanged in June 2010, has also attacked civilians and officials in Sistan-Baluchestan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends