Iran slams UN human rights report
New York: Tehran on Wednesday slammed a report by a UN investigator that said human rights abuses in Iran appear to be increasing and blamed the United States and Europe for the negative assessment of Tehran.
The UN special rapporteur on human rights in Iran, Ahmed Shaheed of the Maldives, also said in his report to the UN General Assembly published earlier this week that the Iranian government had not allowed him to visit Iran while making his assessment.
Iran`s Deputy UN Ambassador Eshagh al-Habib rejected the report`s findings, saying the assembly`s decision to appoint a special rapporteur in the first place was the "result of a one-sided approach and political ambition of certain countries in particularly the United State and its Europeans allies”.
"The US as the main enemy ... of Iran spares no effort to manipulate the international community with fabricated and misleading misinformation," he said, according to the written text of his speech to the General Assembly`s Third Committee, which covers human rights issues.
"This country is better off to look and correct the dark history and record of its own grave violations of human rights, not only at home, but also abroad," Habib said.
He added that Britain should "address its own humanitarian affairs related to its people who protested throughout that country to show their dissatisfaction."
Regarding Shaheed`s report, Habib said that it consisted of "poorly sourced, exaggerated and outdated allegations”.
"Its content is absolutely unjustified, unwarranted and unacceptable for my country," he said. "It also lacks the principles of independence, non-selectivity, impartiality."
He added that Iran had "expressed its readiness to provide all the necessary information to the Special Rapporteur (for) an impartial, balanced, nonpolitical, substantiated and well documented report." But that was not reflected in the report, he said.
Habib urged the Third Committee to "rectify and adjust" Shaheed`s report.
Among the abuses by the Iranian justice system that Shaheed investigated were "torture, cruel, or degrading treatment of detainees, the imposition of the death penalty in the absence of proper judicial safeguards, (and) the status of women," according to Shaheed`s report.
Shaheed also criticised the detention conditions for, and denial of rights of, Iranian opposition leaders Mirhossein Mousavi and Mehdi Karoubi and their wives, describing their situations as "deeply disturbing”.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India