Iran slams UN report on its human rights situation as ‘politically motivated’
Tehran: Iranian foreign ministry dismissed a recent report by the United Nations human rights investigator on Iran as "politically motivated," "biased" and without any legal basis, Press TV reported on Saturday.
On Thursday, Ahmed Shaheed, the United Nations special rapporteur on human rights situation in Iran, said in a report that the Islamic republic has repeatedly limited freedom of media and right activists inside the country, detained a number of them and mistreated them.
The report, which accuses the Iranian government of human rights violations, is a reflection of "Western animosity toward Iran," a statement by Iranian foreign ministry was cited as saying by Press TV.
"Ahmad Shaheed`s report contains repeated claims, which the Islamic republic has dismissed several times. In addition, his claims are based on accounts by Iran`s enemies, resulting in an unsubstantiated report that does not reflect the realities on the ground in the country," said the statement.
On June 17, the United Nations Human Rights Council chose former Maldivian Minister of Foreign Affairs Ahmed Shaheed as its human rights investigator on Iran.
Later in the month, Iranian Foreign Ministry Spokesman Ramin Mehmanparast criticized the appointment of a special rapporteur by UN Human Rights Council on Iran`s human rights condition as a " political act."
The spokesman said that such a move by the council was politically-motivated, and was done under the pressure of the West.
The designation of such a rapporteur was "not acceptable for us, " Mehmanparast said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know