Iran stresses support to Syria
Damascus: Iran`s national security chief has said his country stands against any foreign intervention in Syria, and that the Non-Aligned Movement (NAM) summit in Tehran will aim at resolving the 18-month-old crisis in Syria.
Alaeddin Boroujerdi made the remarks in the Syrian capital, after meeting Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, his deputy Farouq al-Shara`a and Foreign Minister Walid al-Moallem, Xinhua reported.
The talks touched upon a fresh initiative by Iran, which will also be discussed at the NAM summit, the report said.
The Iranian official criticised the US and its allies, and accused them of not supporting a political solution to the Syrian crisis, but rather pushing towards militarisation.
"We (Iran) are at full readiness to provide the suitable ground for undergoing discussions with the Syrian opposition with the participation of the Syrian government and we think that the only way out of this crisis is the political one," he was quoted as saying.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- On being No. 1 in Tests: We need to do a lot to maintain it, says Pakistan skipper Misbah-ul-Haq
- Reasons why you're having chest pain!
- Madhya Pradesh assembly to consider GST Bill today
- Rohith Vemula suicide case: Hyderabad V-C can't be held responsible, concludes HRD probe panel
- Saradha scam: ED summons P Chidambaram's wife Nalini