Iran supplying arms to Iraqi Shiite groups: Gates
Washington: Defense Secretary Robert Gates says Shiite extremists, not al Qaeda terrorists, are to blame for most of the recent US military deaths in Iraq, and they`re "clearly getting some fairly sophisticated and powerful weapons" from Iran.
Gates tells CNN`s "State of the Union" that he`s worried about the Iranian influence in Iraq and he thinks Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki is beginning to take these Shiite groups seriously.
Gates says that the US and Iraq are taking steps to try to limit the threat.
A Shiite militia group has claimed responsibility for an attack that killed five American troops on June 6. It was the single largest loss of life for American troops in two years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Land of believers! Out of 1.2 billion people, only 33,000 are atheists in India
- Hafiz Saeed is overseeing attacks by ISIS fighters in Afghanistan?
- Blackbuck poaching case: Rajasthan government may appeal against Salman Khan's acquittal
- 'Michael Jackson died a vulnerable man'
- Kunis, Kutcher bought wedding rings on e-commerce site