Iran test-fires missiles designed to hit warships
Tehran: A semi-official Iranian news agency says the military has test-fired four missiles during a military drill in the strategic Strait of Hormuz.
The report late yesterday by Fars quoted Gen Ali Fadavi of the powerful Revolutionary Guard as saying the missiles hit a "big target" the size of a warship and sunk it within 50 seconds.
It was the first report of an Iranian military exercise taking place simultaneously and close to US-led joint naval maneuvers in the Persian Gulf, including mine-sweeping drills.
The US Navy claims the maneuvers are not directly aimed at Iran, but the West and its regional allies have made clear they would react against attempts by Tehran to carry out threats to try to close critical Gulf oil shipping lanes in retaliation for tighter sanctions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- No trace of IAF's AN-32 aircraft and survivors
- Rio Olympics 2016: NADA to take decision on Narsingh Yadav's fate today
- Intruder who ‘spiked’ wrestler Narsingh Yadav’s food identified: Sources
- China increases soldiers at Ladakh's Pangong Lake
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef