`Iran to back Syrian govt under any circumstances`
Tehran: Iran`s Majlis (Parliament) Speaker Ali Larijani said Iran will continue to support the Syrian government under any circumstances, the semi-official Mehr news agency reported on Monday.
"As with the past, under any circumstances the Iranian nation and government will remain on the side of the Syrian government and nation," Larijani said in a meeting with Syrian Foreign Minister Walid al-Muallem in Tehran on Sunday.
"A big global and regional conspiracy" has been hatched against Syria because they are upset over the "progressive positions" of the Syrian people and government, said Larijani, adding that the "prospects" are in favour of the Syrian government and people.
For his part, Muallem appreciated the support of Iran and said that "Syrians will never forget the brotherly support of the Iranian people”.
Muallem arrived in Tehran on Sunday and also held talks with Iranian Foreign Minister Ali-Akbar Salehi, Secretary of Iran`s Supreme National Security Council (SNSC) Saeed Jalili and Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.
The talks focused on the recent developments in Syria as well as bilateral relations between the two countries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray