`Iran to back Syrian govt under any circumstances`
Tehran: Iran`s Majlis (Parliament) Speaker Ali Larijani said Iran will continue to support the Syrian government under any circumstances, the semi-official Mehr news agency reported on Monday.
"As with the past, under any circumstances the Iranian nation and government will remain on the side of the Syrian government and nation," Larijani said in a meeting with Syrian Foreign Minister Walid al-Muallem in Tehran on Sunday.
"A big global and regional conspiracy" has been hatched against Syria because they are upset over the "progressive positions" of the Syrian people and government, said Larijani, adding that the "prospects" are in favour of the Syrian government and people.
For his part, Muallem appreciated the support of Iran and said that "Syrians will never forget the brotherly support of the Iranian people”.
Muallem arrived in Tehran on Sunday and also held talks with Iranian Foreign Minister Ali-Akbar Salehi, Secretary of Iran`s Supreme National Security Council (SNSC) Saeed Jalili and Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.
The talks focused on the recent developments in Syria as well as bilateral relations between the two countries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra
- Delhi court restrains release of controversial movie 'Mohalla Assi'
- Camera Day: Celebrate the art of photography and go click-happy!