Iran to "blow up heart" of Israel if attacked: Official
Tehran: Iran would "blow up the heart" of Israel if it was attacked by the Jewish state or the United States, a Revolutionary Guards official was quoted Friday as saying.
"Even if one American or Zionist missile hits our country, before the dust settles, Iranian missiles will blow up the heart of Israel," the IRNA news agency quoted Mojtaba Zolnour as saying.
Zolnour is a deputy representative of Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei in the elite Guards force. Iranian officials have previously said Tehran would retaliate in event of an Israeli or US attack.
Earlier this year, a senior commander said Iranian missiles could reach Israeli nuclear sites. Israel is believed to be the only nuclear-armed Middle East state.
Israel has not ruled out military action if diplomacy fails to end a dispute over Iran`s nuclear ambitions, echoing US policy, although Washington is engaged in a drive to resolve the issue through direct talks with Iran.
The West suspects the Islamic state is covertly seeking to develop nuclear weapons, which Iran denies.
"The Zionist regime and the United States cannot risk attacking Iran," Zolnour said in the holy Shi`ite city of Qom on Thursday, citing Iranian military and technological advances, IRNA reported.
At talks in Geneva on October 1, Iran agreed with six world powers -- the United States, Russia, China, Britain, France and Germany -- to give UN experts access to a newly-disclosed uranium enrichment plant south of Tehran.
Iran and Western powers described talks as constructive and a step forward.
However, underlying tension was highlighted before the meeting when Iran test-fired missiles with ranges that could put Israel and US bases in the Gulf region within reach.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, released later
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- DNA: Ground reporting of the deteriorating sanctity of Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- India vs New Zealand, 4th ODI: As it happened...