Iran to `confront` opposition groups: Khamenei
Tehran: Iran`s supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei warned opposition groups they will be "confronted" if they jeopardise the nation`s security, in an address during Friday prayers in Tehran.
"Those who draw swords against the regime will be confronted," Khamenei, who has the final say on all national issues, said as he led the weekly Muslim prayers at Tehran university.
"Differences of views should not lead to conflicts ... the policy of the regime is to work with the majority. But if opposition groups have ideas that are against the nation`s security and the principles of the regime, they will be confronted," he said.
The Islamic republic is engulfed in its worst crisis following the disputed re-election of President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad in the June 12 poll, which his rivals claim was the result of massive vote rigging.
The all-powerful Khamenei has steadfastly defended Ahmadinejad`s victory.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why