Iran to debate suing US over 1953 coup support
Tehran: Iran`s parliament has approved fast tracking debate on a bill that seeks to sue the US for its involvement in the 1953 coup attack that overthrew the country`s democratically elected prime minister.
Lawmakers will begin deliberations tomorrow over how to launch a formal complaint accusing the US government of intervening in Iran`s internal affairs and inflicting damages on the Persian state. The 290-seat house approved the urgent debate of the bill today in a session broadcast on state radio.
New declassified documents revealed recently offer more details of how the CIA orchestrated the overthrow of Iranian Prime Minister Mohammed Mossadegh 60 years ago.
The coup restored the oppressive regime of Shah Mohammad Reza Pahlavi. He was overthrown in the 1979 Iranian revolution by followers of the late Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rio Olympics should be moved or postponed due to Zika, suggest experts
- Mehbooba Mufti hints no separate colonies for Kashmiri Pandits in J&K
- Bihar board Intermediate Result 2016 declared: Check BSEB 12th Result result at www.biharboard.ac.in, www.biharboard.bih.nic.in
- Chidambaram wonders if Modi govt 'deserves' RBI Governor Raghuram Rajan
- Iran`s supreme leader Khamenei warns of Western 'schemes' as new MPs meet