Iran to halt enrichment, if West provides uranium
Washington: Iran has offered to stop its
production of low enriched uranium, provided the West gives it
the nuclear material, President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said in an
interview published in New York Times.
"If they give us the 20 per cent enriched uranium this
very week, we will cease the domestic enrichment of uranium of
up to 20 per cent this very week. We only want the 20 per cent
enrichment for our domestic consumption," Ahmadinejad said.
"If they give it to us according to international law,
according to IAEA laws, without preconditions, we will cease
domestic enrichment," he said, referring to the International
Atomic Energy Agency, the UN nuclear watchdog.
He reiterated his stance that Tehran is only pursuing a
nuclear programme for domestic purposes, and not for the
production of atomic weapons as the West has alleged.
"This is not something we wish to produce and sell on the
open market," the Iranian leader said.
"Twenty per cent enriched uranium, as you know, is not
useful for much of anything other than the production of
cancer treatment medication. It is not useful for a power
Ahmadinejad, currently in New York where he is scheduled
later today to address the United Nations General Assembly,
told the Times that the deal would spare Iran the trouble and
expense of processing the enriched uranium itself.
"If they were willing to sell us the 20 per cent enriched
uranium we would have preferred to buy it. It would have been
far less expensive," he said.
"It`s as though you wish to purchase a vehicle for
yourself. No one is willing to sell it to you, then you must
set up your own production line to produce your own vehicle."
The UN Security Council in the past has slapped four
rounds of sanctions on Iran to get it to suspend uranium
enrichment, a process which can produce fuel for a reactor but
which it says, contrary to Ahmadinejad`s assertion, also can
be used in a nuclear warhead.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested