Iran to halt enrichment, if West provides uranium
Washington: Iran has offered to stop its
production of low enriched uranium, provided the West gives it
the nuclear material, President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said in an
interview published in New York Times.
"If they give us the 20 per cent enriched uranium this
very week, we will cease the domestic enrichment of uranium of
up to 20 per cent this very week. We only want the 20 per cent
enrichment for our domestic consumption," Ahmadinejad said.
"If they give it to us according to international law,
according to IAEA laws, without preconditions, we will cease
domestic enrichment," he said, referring to the International
Atomic Energy Agency, the UN nuclear watchdog.
He reiterated his stance that Tehran is only pursuing a
nuclear programme for domestic purposes, and not for the
production of atomic weapons as the West has alleged.
"This is not something we wish to produce and sell on the
open market," the Iranian leader said.
"Twenty per cent enriched uranium, as you know, is not
useful for much of anything other than the production of
cancer treatment medication. It is not useful for a power
Ahmadinejad, currently in New York where he is scheduled
later today to address the United Nations General Assembly,
told the Times that the deal would spare Iran the trouble and
expense of processing the enriched uranium itself.
"If they were willing to sell us the 20 per cent enriched
uranium we would have preferred to buy it. It would have been
far less expensive," he said.
"It`s as though you wish to purchase a vehicle for
yourself. No one is willing to sell it to you, then you must
set up your own production line to produce your own vehicle."
The UN Security Council in the past has slapped four
rounds of sanctions on Iran to get it to suspend uranium
enrichment, a process which can produce fuel for a reactor but
which it says, contrary to Ahmadinejad`s assertion, also can
be used in a nuclear warhead.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly