Iran to host global meet against nukes, WMDs
Tehran: Iran will host an international conference in April or May on the fight against nuclear weapons and weapons of mass destruction, the Foreign Ministry said on Sunday.
Ministry spokesman Ramin Mehman-Parast said the conference is intended to show Tehran`s willingness to cooperate in the global fight to destroy weapons of mass destruction, including nuclear weapons, Xinhua reported citing state-run IRNA news agency.
Iran has invited scholars and experts of various countries to participate in the event, he said, adding the move is another step by the Islamic republic towards fighting against production and proliferation of nuclear weapons.
"We believe if those countries that have concerns about the use of nuclear weapons demonstrate a realistic commitment to disarmament, we would witness a world void of nuclear weapons," he said.
Mehman-Parast`s remarks came amid Western accusations that Iran is covertly building nuclear weapons. Tehran says its nuclear programme is to generate electricity for civilian use.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets