Iran to host global meet against nukes, WMDs
Tehran: Iran will host an international conference in April or May on the fight against nuclear weapons and weapons of mass destruction, the Foreign Ministry said on Sunday.
Ministry spokesman Ramin Mehman-Parast said the conference is intended to show Tehran`s willingness to cooperate in the global fight to destroy weapons of mass destruction, including nuclear weapons, Xinhua reported citing state-run IRNA news agency.
Iran has invited scholars and experts of various countries to participate in the event, he said, adding the move is another step by the Islamic republic towards fighting against production and proliferation of nuclear weapons.
"We believe if those countries that have concerns about the use of nuclear weapons demonstrate a realistic commitment to disarmament, we would witness a world void of nuclear weapons," he said.
Mehman-Parast`s remarks came amid Western accusations that Iran is covertly building nuclear weapons. Tehran says its nuclear programme is to generate electricity for civilian use.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader