Iran to mass produce speedier centrifuges: Salehi
Tehran: Iran will within months begin mass production of second generation centrifuges capable of enriching uranium three times faster than existing machines, atomic chief Ali Akbar Salehi said.
"The mass production of second generation centrifuges will begin in the coming months," Salehi said in an interview on state television broadcast late yesterday.
Iran currently enriches uranium at its plant in the central city of Natanz using first generation IR-1 centrifuges.
On Friday, the Islamic republic unveiled a third generation centrifuge which it claims can enrich uranium six times faster than the IR-1 system.
Natanz has a capacity of 60,000 centrifuges and Iran has been steadily enriching uranium there for years in defiance of three sets of UN sanctions and threat of a fourth. Enriching uranium lies at the heart of the controversy surrounding Iran`s nuclear programme as the material can be used either to power a nuclear reactor or to make an atom bomb.
The enrichment method used by Iran is a classic type in which uranium hexafluoride (UF6) gas is whizzed around in a centrifuge at supersonic speeds.
Salehi said Iranian scientists will inject UF6 gas in the third generation centrifuge in few months, adding however, "maybe it needs a year for us to witness a chain of them”.
"Once our appraisal of third generation (centrifuge) is complete and we reach its mass production, the manufacture of the second generation machine will be stopped."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Modi govt 'promoting Brahmanism' in the name of 'Hindu Rashtravad': Arundhati Roy
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram