Iran to seek guaranteed supply of nuclear fuel at Vienna
Tehran: Iran will enter Vienna talks with big powers on Sunday seeking a guaranteed supply of 20 percent enriched uranium, insisting that it will make up any shortfall by domestic production, experts and officials say.
Iranian observers say Tehran will also today attempt to further allay concerns over its atomic programme, which global powers suspect is aimed at making nuclear weapons, a charge strongly denied by the Islamic republic.
Officials from Iran, the UN atomic watchdog, and France, Russia and the United States will meet in Vienna to discuss how to offer the 20 percent enriched uranium to fuel a research reactor in Tehran.
The meeting is the result of October 1 talks in Geneva, at which Iran agreed to ship 3.5 percent low-enrichment uranium abroad for further purification and subsequent return to Iran.
Enriched uranium is the most controversial aspect of Iran`s atomic programme, as it can be used as fuel for a nuclear reactor or to make atomic bombs in purer forms.
"At the Vienna meeting, Iran will seek guaranteed supply of 20 percent enriched uranium according to a tight time-table," said Mohammad Reza Mohammad Karimi, associate editor of the English-language Iran Daily newspaper.
"Iran will go for concrete agreements. If there are no unforeseen hurdles, then the meeting is expected to yield good results."
Iranian officials have said Tehran would enter the Vienna talks with good diplomatic leverage as it is able to manufacture nuclear fuel on its own.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre