Iran to send 4,000 troops to aid Assad`s forces in Syria
London: Iran will be sending a first contingent of 4,000 Iranian Revolutionary Guards to Syria to support President Bashar al-Assad`s forces against the largely Sunni rebellion in the civil war in the country.
The war in war-torn Syria has cost almost 100,000 lives in just over two years.
According to the Independent, Iran is now fully committed to preserving Assad`s regime, pro-Iranian sources which have been deeply involved in the Islamic Republic`s security said.
The sources said that the support is to the extent of proposing to open up a new `Syrian` front on the Golan Heights against Israel.
Iranian sources pointed out that the Taliban recently sent a formal delegation for talks in Tehran and that America will need Iran`s help in withdrawing from Afghanistan.
Iranians said the US will not be able to take its armour and equipment out of the country during its continuing war against the Taliban without Iran`s active assistance.
The move from Iran after Washington`s decision to arm Syria`s Sunni Muslim rebels has plunged America into the great Sunni-Shia conflict of the Islamic Middle East.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued