Iran to send 4,000 troops to aid Assad`s forces in Syria
London: Iran will be sending a first contingent of 4,000 Iranian Revolutionary Guards to Syria to support President Bashar al-Assad`s forces against the largely Sunni rebellion in the civil war in the country.
The war in war-torn Syria has cost almost 100,000 lives in just over two years.
According to the Independent, Iran is now fully committed to preserving Assad`s regime, pro-Iranian sources which have been deeply involved in the Islamic Republic`s security said.
The sources said that the support is to the extent of proposing to open up a new `Syrian` front on the Golan Heights against Israel.
Iranian sources pointed out that the Taliban recently sent a formal delegation for talks in Tehran and that America will need Iran`s help in withdrawing from Afghanistan.
Iranians said the US will not be able to take its armour and equipment out of the country during its continuing war against the Taliban without Iran`s active assistance.
The move from Iran after Washington`s decision to arm Syria`s Sunni Muslim rebels has plunged America into the great Sunni-Shia conflict of the Islamic Middle East.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- Why is religion being made the basis of election campaigns in UP?
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Sony Xperia X gets a price cut of whopping Rs 14,000