Iran troops seized from bus in raid claimed by Sunni group
Tehran: Gunmen attacked a bus and seized five Iranian soldiers in the country`s restive southeast, media reports said on Saturday as Sunni militants claimed responsibility for the raid.
The group ambushed the bus between the towns of Iranshahr and Chabahar in Sistan-Baluchestan province on Thursday, the official IRNA news agency cited a top government official as saying.
They took hostage six passengers including five soldiers and a bank clerk before elite Iranian forces freed two of the troops, Ali Abodllahi, who is a deputy interior minister, said in the report.
"Two soldiers were freed in an operation carried out in the region last night by the Revolutionary Guards," Abodllahi was quoted as saying.
Mehr news agency reported that the raid was claimed by the Sunni rebel group Jundallah, or Soldiers of God.
The group also said it carried out the attack in a statement posted on its website junbish.blogspot.com, adding that it killed a "number of security
forces" during the assault.
Jundallah, whose longtime leader Abdolmalek Rigi was executed in June, threatened to kill the hostages unless its members currently held by Iranian authorities are released.
Abdollahi, however, rejected Jundallah`s claim that it carried out the abduction.
Jundallah says it fights for the interests of the southeastern province`s large ethnic Baluch community, who unlike most Shi’ite Iranians, mainly follow the Sunni branch of Islam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP